Understanding and managing Thyroid diseases with Diet & Lifestyle correction
Living happy with Thyroid issues: Effective diet & lifestyle correction
Thyroid gland is a small butterfly-shaped gland that sits low on the front of the neck. Thyroid gland is responsible in helping our body manage the metabolism, energy levels and body temperature control. An issue with the functioning in the thyroid levels and thyroid gland functioning may lead to many health changes. Depending on how much or how little hormone your thyroid makes, you may often feel restless or tired, or you may lose or gain weight. Women are more likely than men to have thyroid diseases, especially right after pregnancy and after menopause.
Thyroid issues are majorly of the following types
- Hypothyroidism is when your thyroid does not make enough thyroid hormones. It is also called underactive thyroid. This slows down many of your body's functions, like your metabolism.
- The most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's disease; the immune system mistakenly attacks the thyroid. This attack damages the thyroid so that it does not make enough hormones.
- Hyperthyroidism, or overactive thyroid, causes your thyroid to make more thyroid hormone than your body needs. This speeds up many of your body's functions, like your metabolism and heart rate.
- The most common cause of hyperthyroidism is Graves' disease. Graves' disease is a problem with the immune system.
- There are also some more issues related to thyroid especially affecting Women more than Men: Postpartum thyroiditis, A non-functioning thyroid gland, Excessive iodine or Iodine deficiency
The most common issue associated with getting over-weight or under-weight, Type-2 diabetes, chronic heart disease, osteoporosis, infertility. A complete combination of the right nutrition and regular medication can help restore thyroid function and minimize your symptoms as well as prolong the further associated complications.
If you have strong family history of diabetes or Thyroid, are overweight or losing too much weight, feeling drained out easily or losing energy early, its time to get your Thyroid levels checked. There are a few things you can do to help feel the best possible when diagnosed with Thyroid disease.
- Watching your diet
- Taking all of your medications as directed
- Getting enough sleep
- Exercising regularly, indulging in Yoga
- Managing stress levels
- Getting tested regularly as directed by your physician
There are many diet and nutrition related myths when a person gets diagnosed with Thyroid issue. Most people believe “I either need to increase my iodine content or decrease iodine intake”. But Thyroid Management goes way beyond just cutting down or increasing Iodine fortification. It’s a detailed selection and elimination of some typical foods. Adding some essential foods to the diet so that energy, metabolism and bodily functions are restored are of utmost importance.
All type of Thyroid issues has a theory of food interactions and food enhancement potentials. Also we all are different, no one individual is exact same. Most people in our own family do not have same body types or constitutions so one thing which works for you may not work absolutely the same for your children or your siblings. So one must seek advice and follow a personalised diet regimen to have a better control on the Thyroid functioning levels and also for the medications to work effectively.
Living and staying happy with your thyroid issue is easy and a quite a long term commitment. Let us help you know your Thyroid issue better and manage your diet well. Talk to us and know more today!!!